Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Heavy Metal in Baghdad

Office worker by day, kopitiam wifi parasite by night. One would call me a workaholic, but the only thing that drives me to work so hard is the joy of accomplishing every task. I celebrate every time I get an inch closer to my goals in life. Boredom kills me faster than any explosive and I refuse to endure even a second of nothingness.

So one day I did some research on rockumentary films as part of my project (plus the work's fun so that's as close as i get to leisure). While discussing with a professional videographer whom I personally know, I was introduced to so many unique documentary films that embraced the beauty of rock. I came across this one film which made a lot of sense to me. 'Heavy Metal In Baghdad'.

The documentary revolves around the only metal band in Iraq, Acrassicauda. The makers of the film smuggled themselves into Baghdad in the midst of the War to meet these aspiring members of Acrassicauda with the main objective of getting the band together to perform like how they did before the War erupted. With strict curfews and watching bombs explode from the balcony of their hotel at night, the film-makers stuck their neck on the line of fire to make this film a success.

They followed the members of the band for 3 years before they entered Iraq only to find out that the members themselves have not met each other for months although they lived just 15 minutes away from one another. The film revolved around detailed interviews with the band on how rock and metal was frowned upon by the Iraqi military.

The acts of headbanging was associated with practices of Judaism and goatees are satanic. The band had to keep their hair short with their faces covered with hair to look fashionably Islamic disguising themselves as a common Iraqi. The content of their closet insanely full of metal merchandise can easily get them killed if caught.

An 'Iron Maiden' CD and a Slipknot t-shirt in their homes is no different than a time bomb waiting to explode. Being the metalheads that they are, they keep it well hidden to not forget their purpose of surviving.They sail on an adventure trying to flee out of the country into Syria as refugees. Every step of the trail is an act of survival.

After watching the documentary, I googled the band and found a video which I can proudly describe as the ultimate prize giving ceremony after passing the finish line.



If I were that dude, I'd be totally mindfucked. peace!

~k i d k a p i t a l~

No comments:

 

website hits